(serves about 16)
2 pounds ground beef
1 chopped onion
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chili peppers
1 (2 ounce) can black olives - sliced is good
1 (16 ounce) jar salsa - whatever heat you like
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans - yes, fat-free is OK
12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
9 ounces shredded Colby-Jack cheese or Pepper Jack is yummy
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, saute the ground beef for around 5 minutes.
3. Add the onion & garlic. Saute for 5 more minutes. Drain any unwanted fat (hahaha).
4. Mix in the olives, chile peppers, tomatoes & green chile peppers, taco sauce and beans.
5. Stir mixture thoroughly, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.
6. Spread a thin layer of the meat mixture in the bottom of a 4 quart casserole dish.
7. Cover with a layer of tortillas then more of the meat mixture, then a layer of cheese. Repeat tortilla, meat, cheese pattern until all the tortillas are used, topping off with a layer of meat mixture and cheese.
8. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until cheese is nice and gooey.
sour cream, diced scallions, diced tomatoes, lettuce, fresh jalapenos - all are excellent condiments